Johanna Bilbo Staton
Excellent English editing skills with a keen eye and attention to detail. Experience as a magazine editor, plus copy reading and proof reading of fiction and nonfiction for major publishing houses. Please contact me to discuss how I can help you make your manuscripts free of typos, grammatical errors, wordiness, and awkward phrasing.
- Northwestern University, Medill School of Journalism, Evanston, IL (M.S.J., magazine emphasis)
- Radcliffe-Harvard Publishing Procedures Course, Cambridge, MA
- Rollins College, Winter Park, FL (B.A., English major).
Newspaper and yearbook staffs, literary magazine editor, member of Rollins Publication Union
- Assistant editor, then associate editor for Jack and Jill children's magazine, Curtis Publishing Co.,
Philadelphia, PA. Wrote features, evaluated and edited manuscripts, proofread galleys, checked layouts, was liaison with ABC-TV, scheduled some issues. (five years)
- Proofreader, book reviewer, photo clerk for Lindsay Newspapers, Inc., Sarasota, FL (one year)
- Public relations assistant for New College, Sarasota, FL (one year)
Freelance Editorial Assignments
- Second proofing for Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, New York, NY
- Copyedited fifty romance novels for Dorchester Publishing, Inc., New York, NY
- Copyedited six nonfiction books for Barron Educational Series, Hauppauge, NY
- Copyedited three naval history books for the Naval Institute Press, Annapolis, MD
- Proofread sociology book for Stanford University Press, Stanford, CA
- Copyedited Ultrapure Water and Industrial Water Treatment (chemical industry journals) and three technical books for Tall Oaks Publishing, Littleton, CO (eleven years)
- Copyedited chemical textbook by Dr. Russell S. Drago, Department of Chemistry, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- Compiled and edited Instructor's Read-Aloud Anthology for Instructor Books, New York, NY
- Copyedited, proofread medical proceedings and journals for The Franklin Institute Press, Philadelphia, PA
- Copyedited technical manuscripts on computer industry for Auerbach Publishers, Inc., Pennsauken, NJ (four years freelance, plus ten weeks as acting chief copyeditor)
- Copyedited remedial readers for Dr. L. B. Charry, (J.B. Lippincott), Philadelphia, PA
- Evaluated, edited manuscripts for Jack and Jill, Review Publishing, Indianapolis, IN (four years)
Click Here to View and Print Jody's Full Resume.